Registration for the 2017 songSLAM is now closed. See you at Soho's HERE theater April 25th at 8:30pm for a fun night and 10 world premieres!
The Sparks & Wiry Cries songSLAM is a unique opportunity for emerging composer/performer teams to premiere new art songs and compete for cash prizes. This social event will take place at SOHO’s HERE theater on Tuesday April 25th at 8:30pm. Each team will present a new song of no more than 5 minutes for voice and piano in any language for the voting audience, who—in the poetry slam tradition—will then vote on their favorites and award $2,000 in prize money.
$1,000 for first place, $600 for second place and $400 for third place
The songSLAM will be M.C.’d by tenor Paul Sperry and composer Tom Cipullo. Registration for teams begins on March 1st on first-come, first-served basis. There will be 10 performance and 5 alternate slots available. There is no age limit for those who wish to apply.
1) Registration is free and opens on March 1st at 6pm on a first-come, first-served basis.
2) Performance slots will be given to the first 10 applicants to apply; there will also be 5 alternate slots in the event of cancellations.
3) Original compositions presented at 2017's songSLAM must:
- be composed for voice and piano
- feature texts that are in the public domain or have written and signed permission from the author/trust
- receive their world premiere at our event.
4) Songs should be no more than 5 minutes in length.
5) A composer can only submit ONE song for the event. Performers can only perform in ONE song for the event.
6) Texts may be in any language.
7) There is no age limit for those who wish to apply.
8) Composer must be present during the premiere event.
9) Scores for songSLAM must be completed and submitted by no later than April 1, 2017.
Prize money is as follows: $1,000 for first place, $600 for second place and $400 for third place and will be awarded by the audience.*
(*Further prizes may be granted at the discretion of the Co-Artistic Directors of Sparks & Wiry Cries, including but not limited to: professional recording for use by the composer and performers, and online publication and sales of winning songs, hosted through Sparks & Wiry Cries’ website.)
Information about the performance & premieres:
Tuesday April 25th @ HERE Theater, 145 Sixth Ave, New York, NY 10013.
Tickets: $5 for students with ID, $10 general admission.
Teams are encouraged to bring their friends, as all prizes will be awarded by audience vote!
More details will be available March 1st.
Questions? Email us at email@example.com